Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blog #4

Don't teach your kids this stuff
This Iowa State Univeristy professor Scott McLeod did a great job with his poem. I liked the satire of the poem. In the poem, he points out all the negative aspects of the technology. Although there are negative aspects to the technology, people still need to know how to use technology to be able to make it in the world.
I think Scott did an excellent job of getting his point across. I thought he ended the poem off well with ' cause I'm doing all of it with my kids/can't wait to see who has a leg up in a decade or two/can you?" This question really sums up his whole point. The point being that: though technology my have its bad sides, you are not going to make it if you don't know how to use technology.
The iSchool Initiative
As a concept, this sounds great, but I do not think it will work right now. I do not think you can replace the class room learning experience with an itouch.
Although this concept would be a great aid to learning, I do not think it would be the best way for right now. You would have to wing people into this system of education. Change does not happen over night, it takes time. Maybe years from now we might have some way of learning that is somewhat like this, but I do not see this happening any time soon
The Lost Generation
I thought this was a great video. I thought they did an excellent job of getting their point across. The use of saying the lines backwards really caught my attention. It helped in proving that if we reverse and stop the bad we are doing the future will be brighter.
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
This video show's the power of technology with people who know how to use it. I thought it was really cool that he was able to put all this together just with the use of the internet. I would class this video as a great feat for technology and how it can unite the world to accomplish one goal.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Samuel! My name is Brooke and I'm your C4C #4! Our comments for blog post number for had a lot in common!

    Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff:
    I also really enjoyed Scott McLeod's poem! He did an great job getting his point across, and you are right technology is advancing so quickly, it is going to be really hard for a child to be successful is he or she doesn't know how to use technology.

    The iSchool Initiative
    I agree, changes can not happen over night, but I do believe the concept of the iSchool is great, and has a lot of advantages. Although, along with advantages comes disadvantages...if the iSchool ever does exist in the future, will schools be able to filter and block what students' can and can not view on their iTouch? In the video he seems to have a lot of good points for the iSchool, saving students' and parents a lot of money.

    The Lost Generation:
    You summed up this video to a T. I think the reverse in the video caught everyones attention. I was worried when I first watched the video because of all the negative thoughts she was saying, but in the end it was all turned around and really got me thinking positive for the future!

    Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir:
    All I could say was WOW! This video is amazing! Your right it really does show the power of technology. Isn't it awesome how one person contacted all these people around the world to produce this amazing sound? You said it correctly: "uniting the world to accomplish one goal!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Samuel! Technology may have a bad side but so do most things. I think people in general just hate the idea of change and that is what new technology represents. Learning something new may require some to get a little out of their comfort zone. We would not want to do that now would we?

    Your blog is looking good. Be sure to move the "About Me" gadget to the top of the column. Don't forget to proof read before posting. SS

    ReplyDelete