Tuesday, October 12, 2010

blog #7

Randy Pausch is a professor at Carnegie Mellon. He is dying of liver cancer and he was giving his "last lecture". The title of this lecture was Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. During this speech, he talked about different things he learned through out his life.
At the beginning of the speech, he was talking about childhood dreams and how to accomplish it. He talked about how you need to be specific with your dreams. He said if you run into brick walls it is ok because "Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things".
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." I thought that was a pretty cool quote. He was very much with the never give up attitude. If you fail, you know know what not to do next time. He wanted his students to never quit just because they had ran into a "brick wall".
I thought the head fakes was a good way to conclude the speech. He not only talked about how to use head fakes; he used one to finish his speech. I thought his speech was a very interesting speech. I did not look forward at watching a hour plus video, but it was well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you that this video was worth watching for an hour. I had previously watched it before for one of my Psychology classes so I knew what was going to happen, but I watched it again! I also loved the quote "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." I used the same quote in my post. I found out later after researching a little that he made that video for his children. He wanted to encourage then to reach for and accomplish their dreams. He's an awesome guy. Bittersweet story. Great post!

    ReplyDelete